Sunday, July 5, 2015

Colorado Back Country Cutthroats

I have a complete problem with hiking. I also have a fishing problem. When you combine the two you end up with a backpack that Boba Fett would envy. With rod tubes protruding like lightning rods and everything needed for "survival" you know tent, sleeping bag and whiskey. The real bare essentials.

 I enjoy a hike that is counted in miles. Especially a hike that is counted over 10 miles of walking through complete and utter wilderness. The final location a high mountain lake damn near the clouds. Of course we all know the fish we chase always live in terribly awful dreary locations that are not worth ever experiencing.
The lake as you finally get to see it.

The Falls Just below the lake.
The first set of falls.
This is what most of the trail looked like on our hike up after the first falls. My 2 year old son holding his own on the trail.



 Generally these lakes are teeming with fish that will eat anything that even remotely resembles a bug. I cannot and will not ever be able to put words to the feeling of catching these wild fish in their native habitat. I am by no means an author or an english major. I just like to share these adventures with the rest of the fishing community.
This was my first fish after camp was established. Forgot my phone for the rest you'll just have to take my word.

I love fish that have been in the same lake for a thousand years. Unmolested and left alone to breed and regenerate their population without hatchery influence. I am talking real wild trout. Sure cutty's don't get the same publicity as their sea fairing cousins the steelhead and salmon but each one of these fish is straight up rocky mountain gold. Get out there and start prospecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment